Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Standing Up For What Is Right

Have you ever believed in something, something important, life changing, and maybe unpopular? What did you do in that moment? Did you share your thoughts and beliefs with others or did you sit quietly and say nothing? Did you make your thoughts known or were you afraid of offending other people? Were you afraid of "rocking the boat" so you stuffed your thoughts and feelings deep inside yourself so no one would have any idea what you were thinking?
I have been guilty many times of being so excited about something, but too afraid to open my mouth and say anything. I was worried that people would not like me anymore, would judge me, would treat me differently. I was afraid. I stood by and said nothing when I should have said what was on my mind and in my heart. I let the opinions of other people get in my way. Oh my gosh if I speak up, if they find out that is how I really feel, they might not like me anymore. That is so wrong!!!
I have heard people say things that are not true about other people, places, and/or events and I have kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to make anyone mad at me. I was wrong to do that. I should have stopped them and said you are mistaken or misinformed. Something, anything would have been better than just swallowing my words. By not saying anything, I made myself guilty of not being true to myself.
We should stand up for what we think is good and right no matter what anyone else thinks. Everyone is intitled to his/her own opinion and just because mine doesn't match your's doesn't make either one of us wrong. It simply means we don't agree, which really is ok. Even the closest of friends will not agree on every single thing in life. By standing up, by making that stand you are simply saying this is how I feel about whatever topic is at hand. Standing up for what is good and right in your opinion is a good thing. It's a healthy thing. It shows that you have thoughts and feelings outside your own bubble.
Don't be afraid to take that stand. You will find when you come out supporting a given person or cause that others feel the same way as you. Your family and closest friends may not agree, but that is okay. You are allowed to have your own thoughts, feelings, and opinions. No one has the right to keep you from expressing them either. Take a stand! Be bold and courageous! Don't be afraid! It may not be easy or popular, but who cares! You are entitled to you own opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment